Oct 28, 2022
Welcome to Episode
- Blog by David Heinemeier Hansson
- He’s a Danish programmer, and the Creator of
Ruby on Rails
- He is also co-founder of both Basecamp and
- And, an Author
- Basecamp has been at least partially in the
cloud for a long time
- HEY was started in the cloud.
- Various platforms and technologies
- Bare vms
- “Renting computers is (mostly) a bad deal for
medium-sized companies like ours with stable growth.”
- Two ends of the scale:
- Low-end, when your application is simple, low
workloads, you benefit from the simplicity of managed
- Irregular “bursty” end, where you have a
certain sustained workload, but it has a tendency to burst, and
- Middle of the scale:
- Workloads that have consistent traffic, and
- Cost vs Complexity
- A lot of server hardware could be bought for
half a million a year
- Argument being, managing those
- Half a million spend for HEY per
- But how true is that, really?
- And then there’s centralization…
- Who is David Heinemeier Hansson https://dhh.dk/?
- So what about this post.
Watch us live on the 2nd and 4th
Thursday of every month! Subscribe and hit the bell!
Find us on Twitter, and Facebook!
Subscribe wherever you find
And don't forget about our
Intro and Outro music credit: Tri Tachyon,
Digital MK 2